November 1, 2007
The Pharyngula Mutating Genre* Meme
I have seriously been fretting over this meme, designed to demonstrate evolution over the internet, for over two weeks now. Liss tagged me, which put me in a dilemma: I feel the need to respond, lest she never tag me or link to me ever again, but I feel pressured to sound smart. Finally I realized I was just going to need to make a decision on the three questions that were troubling me, though, lest I never get around to posting the meme at all. So, here it is, with the rules up front:
There are a set of questions below that are all of the form, “The best [subgenre] in [genre] is…”. Copy the questions, and before answering them, you may modify them in a limited way, carrying out no more than two of these operations:
— You can leave them exactly as is.
— You can delete any one question.
— You can mutate either the genre, medium, or subgenre of any one question. For instance, you could change “The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is…” to “The best time travel novel in Westerns is…”, or “The best time travel movie in SF/Fantasy is…”, or “The best romance novel in SF/Fantasy is…”.
— You can add a completely new question of your choice to the end of the list, as long as it is still in the form “The best [subgenre] in [genre] is…”.
You must have at least one question in your set, or you’ve gone extinct, and you must be able to answer it yourself, or you’re not viable.
Then answer your possibly mutant set of questions. Please do include a link back to the blog you got them from, to simplify tracing the ancestry, and include these instructions.
Finally, pass it along to any number of your fellow bloggers. Remember, though, your success as a Darwinian replicator is going to be measured by the propagation of your variants, which is going to be a function of both the interest your well-honed questions generate and the number of successful attempts at reproducing them.
My great-great-great-grandparent is Pharyngula.
My great-great-grandparent is Metamagician and the Hellfire Club.
My great-grandparent is Flying Trilobite.
My grandparent is A Blog Around the Clock.
My parent is Shakesville.
1. The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus, by Orson Scott Card. (Problematic in a lot of ways, from the author’s philosophies to some of the racial issues inherent in the subjects at hand, but I found the concept so fascinating — what if we could go back and change major events in the past as part of a social engineering project?)
2. The best scary movie in scientific dystopias is: Dark City (again, perhaps not always the best realized film, but a great concept, if nothing else.)
4. The best cult novel in
absurdist postmodern fiction is: Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino (definitely achieved cult status among my creative writing colleagues, anyway.)
5. The best stand-up comedian in American comedy is: George Carlin (can’t argue with that!)
6. The best Canadian band in Celtic rock is: Great Big Sea (one of my great big loves.)
And now for the tagging:
- Blue Gal
- Evil Bender
- Jill of Feministe
- Radical Vixen (particularly NSFW at the moment! 😉 )
- Zuzu of Feministe
Go be fruitful and multiply!
*I initially mistyped the title, and Evil Bender carried on the meme before I caught the typo, so it looks like it might well be the “mutating gene meme” in my descendants through him. Mutation at work!